Monday, April 20, 2009

About my research article again!

Hi all!
Today I'm going to write another post about the research article I found on the Internet a few weeks ago. This time again, we were asked to answer a series of questions on the topic "how to make a piece of writing readable". Our task was to reflect on our article's structure, logic, cohesion, clarity and coherence. These are the essential elements every text needs to have in order to be easy to follow by its readers. Here I'm going to focus on structure, logic and cohesion.
First of all, I want to point out that my research article follows the so called hourglass structure. There is indeed an introduction where the author outlines her main ideas and topics covered in her paper ("This paper aims to examine aspects of the relationship between tourism and place identity in rural Ireland. (...) Through a case study it is argued that the impact of tourism must be understood in terms of the new social relations which emerge (...)" ). After this introductory part there is the body, where the writer provides evidence to support what she stated at the beginning. So, a wide range of explanatory words are used: because, firstly, secondly, on the one hand, on the other hand. Finally, the paper ends with a conclusion summarizing what has been shown in the study, thus reinforcing the initial thesis ("through the case study it has been shown that, the result is that, in summary").
The article is logic because it contains arguments to support the author's thesis. Consider, for instance, the following sentence: "(...) tourist imagery 'plays a significant role in providing a native self-image' because firstly, Irish people have been exposed to tourist representations over a long period of time; and secondly, there has been a high level of contact between tourists and locals (...)". Here it's clear that the sentence starts with the main idea followed by two arguments to support it. The same happens in the following example: " (...) the relationship between tourism and place identities can be conceptualised in terms of social relations. On the one hand, changes to place identity occur as groups, institutions and individuals act to commodify resources (...). On the other hand, resilient existing social relations influence the degree to which commodification for tourism takes place".
Finally, the paper is also cohesive since ideas in the text are closely connected to each other, as this sentence shows: "Whilst identities may be in a constant process of flux and change, there are also elements of continuity (...)".
To sum up, my brief analysis of the research article I chose has concentrated on some of the basic features that make a piece of writing readable and easier to follow: structure, logic and cohesion.
Serena

2 comments:

  1. Hi Serena...
    Hope you're doing well, and thank you for the dispensa :)

    I found your post very interesting and well-written. You give a lot of precise information, providing examples and quotations. I like the way you organized your post without reporting directly all the questions; the ideas' flow is easy to follow.
    Your English is very good so I think that my feedback will be very poor :)

    And now...the bad news ;)
    Since you made few mistakes I will add some feedback on post layout too...just some personal points of view. However, don't take me too seriously , after all, I'm just a student :) LOL

    Well, let's start from layout:

    - I think it would be better to use paragraphs in order to have one idea/concept per paragraph;

    - I would put a clickable word (not URL) that links to the article you are talking about. I know you talked about it in a previous post, but maybe an 'uninformed' reader wouldn't know where to find the mentioned article;

    - I would make a link (clickable word) to those specific words you used in the post (i.e. hourglass structure). Hopefully we are not the only readers of our blogs so we should make our posts understandable.

    And now, grammar feedback:

    - I wouldn't put a comma before 'where' (when you say "...introductory part there is the body, where the writer provides...") since subordinators are never preceded by a comma;

    - I would say 'conjuncts' or 'subordinators' instead of 'explanatory words', which is less precise. However, it's just a matter of word choise.

    - I would say [but I'm not so sure :)] 'one another' instead of 'each other'. The latter is usually used when talking about two people or things while the former is used when talking about more than two things, especially in an ordered series...and the 'ideas' that your talking about are ordered and more than two.

    BTW, your English is good and I'm sure that these little mistakes are just a matter of distraction...I've been long-winded as ever...Sorry!

    Bye
    Giorgia

    P.S.I'm sure I did some mistakes in the feedback too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oho good dear !!!! very intersting blog and a good posting !!! you must maintain your blog, its intresting !!! Nice Buddy
    ________________________________

    How To Write A Research Paper

    ReplyDelete